• Postive Benefits of Immigration

    Immigrants behind 25 percent of startups
    By RACHEL KONRAD, AP Technology Writer Wed Jan 3, 6:55 PM ET

    SAN FRANCISCO - Foreign-born entrepreneurs were behind one in four U.S. technology startups over the past decade, according to a study to be published Thursday.

    A team of researchers at Duke University estimated that 25 percent of technology and engineering companies started from 1995 to 2005 had at least one senior executive — a founder, chief executive, president or chief technology officer — born outside the United States. Full article here.

    Illegal Immigration is a real problem in America and needs to be dealt with - but this article is one in the eye for the right wing loonies who call for a reduction (or stop altogether) in legitimate immigration to America.

    As an American immigrant, I can fully appreciate the wonderful opportunities America offers. Sadly, I can probably only dream to join the ranks of these succesful foreign-born businessmen, who generated a whopping $52 BILLION to the American economy in 2005.

    America has always been a melting pot for immigrants. America doesn't exist as an ethnicity or race. It's an ideal. It's the dream that you can be whoever and whatever you want. And for most, the dream might never come true. But contrary to popular belief, you can live off dreams and aspirations as long as they continue to drive you forward.

    In England, it's all about the status quo. It's about 'knowing your place.' Those who aspire to be better are frowned upon and dismissed. We're all too self concious to dare to dream.

    I think the feeling that I could shed my inhibitions and wallow in ambition was one of the things that made me fall in love with America. As this article shows, I'm not the only immigrant who believes whole heartedly in the American Dream, even if it always remains elusively beyond my grasp.

2 comments:

  1. Unknown says:

    I've no problem with IMMIGRANTS, I married one, it's the ILLEGAL CRIMINAL INVADERS I have issue with.

  1. Roland Hulme says:

    Illegal immigrants.

    They've broken the law JUST BY BEING THERE.

    So why should they abide by the rest of them?

    I totally agree with you, Jenn.

    My missus and I have spent THOUSANDS getting the right to live in the UK and USA together. Illegal immigrants spit in our face when they get away with what they do.

Leave a Reply