• Charge first! Ask Questions Later!

    It's payday!

    But for up to 400,000 workers (possibly including myself) the fruits of our labours won't be hitting our bank accounts today. Due to a monumental "problem" (read: Cock Up) with the BACS system, hundreds of thousands of people's pay cheques won't work their way through the system by the time they're supposed to. Full story here.

    It's alright, though. The banks have promised that any fines they doll out because of missed payments (if your pay cheque arrived AFTER that rent payment was went to go out) will be refunded in full.

    The question I have is this: If the banks know almost half a million people could be struck with this "problem" (read: Cock Up) why on earth should they be allowed to fine anybody in the first place?

    It's their error, not the customers. I think it's absolutely disgusting that bank charges are such an automatic and institutionalised system that we would even entertain the idea of letting them FINE us for THEIR error.

    I know what people will say - that the systems that charge customers are automated and it would be more of a hassle to stop the charges than just repay them afterwards. However I think that's a pretty sorry situation to be in.

    I've already written about the liberties my bank takes with my money - and I'm DAMN sure I need it more than they do. I think far too many people forget that a bank doesn't just render a service - 'looking after' our money. It also makes a very healthy profit from having OUR cash in THEIR coffers.

    There are hundreds of banks and building societies. I would like FOR ONCE to see my bank actually behave like they appreciate my business - and appreciate the fact that I'm trusting my hard earned money with them and not with one of their myriad competitors.

1 comments:

  1. Unknown says:

    Can't you change banks?

Leave a Reply